Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Book Review (#10 of 2008)

How can we give poor kids a million bucks? Is Wal-Mart evil and would Jesus shop there? Why are gas prices so high? Is liberal Massachusetts a more family-friendly place than the South? Should Christians care about global warming and the environment? What about illegal immigration?

Good Intentions: Nine Hot-Button Issues Viewed Through the Eyes of Faith is co-authored by a Christian economist and a journalist.

The economist happens to have been a mentor/colleague of mine at Baylor, Dr. Charles North. Dr. North is an economist lawyer, a very smart guy. He helped me with some of my projects at Baylor even though I never had him for a class. I could always go to him with questions.

This is a simple and very easy-to-read look at some political/economic issues. Some simple explanations and some attempts to look at both sides of the story, while maintaining the importance of what the Bible says.

I give the book 4 stars of 5. It doesn't have a bibliography, which makes it a pain to look up all the sources it cites. It also assumes global warming is man-made and leaves out some important arguments about the costs of illegal immigration. I would recommend it for church small groups as well as social work students who have never had an economics class. It should lead to great discussions. More info can be found on the book's website.

1 comment:

TaylorW said...

I think I'll check this one out...

awaiting the next ones on the list.

:-)