Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pizza is Expensive

When you think about eating an expensive dinner, what comes to mind? I think of fillet mignon , or an Outback steak, or a fancy Italian restaurant. What is expensive when buying a meal only for yourself? $10? $20? $30?

My personal thought is if I'm paying more than $12 for a meal for myself it had better be all-you-can-eat, preferably a buffet like Ryan's or Golden Corral. (can I get an amen?)

Delivery pizza is an expensive meal. You don't often think about it as such, but it is.


I think half the time people don't expect the pizza they're ordering to be as expensive as it ends up being and are surprised to hear the total. I heard one caller cancel an order today after he ordered a triple-cheese with extra toppings and heard it would cost him $30.

Cases in point:
Yesterday, a customer ordered a medium pizza. Now, I can polish off a medium in one sitting without problem, and most college-aged guys I know would need 2 to be satisfied.

He ordered it half and half, which immediately doubles the price. He ordered 4 toppings for one half, and 4 for the other. This counted as 8 separate toppings. Plus, he ordered a special sauce for one side. It's about $2 per topping and sauce.

He also ordered a 2-liter of Pepsi, which is $2.50. There is also a $1.50 delivery charge.

Total price: $28.95. For one medium pizza.

His was my last delivery of a long, stormy and foggy night in East TN. I accidentally grabbed a Diet Pepsi for him instead of a Pepsi. I also wasn't given credit card receipts for him, which meant he had to awkwardly sign the plain receipt.

So, I got no tip. His apartment was about 5 miles from the Hut and the Hut gives me $1 to make that trip. So, I felt bad about missing his Pepsi, but his apartment was about 1/2 mile from the nearest convenient store where he could have gotten a 2-liter Pepsi for 69 cents.

Today, a woman used a coupon to order a $12.99 large pizza "made just how you like it!" Actual price of the large pizza: $21. She wasn't pleased when I showed up on her doorstep and needed that amount from her in exchange for the pizza.

Her mistake: The limit is 3 toppings to use the coupon (read the fine print)... she apparently ordered 4, and thus her coupon didn't give her $12.99... oh, plus the $1.50 delivery charge and sales tax.

I see this over and over throughout my day. $30 for 2 medium pizzas. $30 for one large pizza, etc.

The store has seen sales slacking in recent weeks. There are many factors that could contribute to this. But, I wonder if it isn't the slowing economy and higher food & fuel prices and people realizing they have an elastic demand curve for delivery pizza.
Friends don't let friends get delivery pizza. Just trust me (and Troy per yesterday's comments).

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Pizza Hut isn't as expensive for those of us who are "preferred customers." I received a package in the mail stating that I was a "preferred customer" and it had a $2 off keychain coupon with no expiration date. I can get $2 off any pizza I order because I am a "preferred customer."

I'm afraid that means we order too much Pizza Hut. Can't beat that pan crust, though.

Joni said...

I've never heard of a preferred customer of a pizza place! You guys must REALLY order too much pizza!!! :) The pan crust is the only good thing about Pizza Hut, though. I had their hand tossed crust the other day, and it wasn't worth it. Papa John's all the way, baby! (And even then only when you have a good coupon and read the fine print!)

d blake said...

here's what i got at domino's for $29.95...

Large pep, sausage, green pepper
Large meat lovers
Medium pepperoni

maybe just pizza hut pizza is expensive.