Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Book Review (#11 of 2008)

You get two reviews for the price of one today. My wife and I listened to two books on our travels through Tennessee and Kentucky to Ohio this past week. Both were older books, the first of which I got for $1.

Book #1:
The Lexus and the Olive Tree (Wikipedia review) was written by Tom Friedman in 1999. I often quote Tom Friedman on this blog and have read a couple of his other books. This one is the precursor to The World is Flat. If you've lived in a coma for the last 10 years and don't know/understand what globalization is and how it's transforming the world, then this book is for you.

Friedman attempts to dissect, analyze and categorize this new international system, and explains it by introducing colorful new terms such as: Microchip Immune Deficiency; The Golden Straightjacket; The Electronic Herd; DOSCapital; The Backlash; The Groundswell.

It's interesting to hear his Washington Consensus one-size-fits-all policy endorsements, which seems to contradict with his conclusion that we also need larger government social policies in America. It's also interesting to see how far to the left the pendulum has swung around the world since this was written. 2.5 stars out of 5. (Would have been 4.5 stars out of 5 in 1999).

Book #2:
My wife bought Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. The book is just like the movie (which I'd never seen all the way through), but it's more detailed and you get to hear the author read it. I guess the audience is middle-aged women. Since I'm not one, I will not attempt to rate it.

We sold both of them at Half Price Books in Louisville and only got $4, which I put towards a $7 book that I look forward to reviewing in the near future.

No comments: