Thursday, April 17, 2008

For Azlan

A few days ago I wrote about Patriot, the 3 year old who loves Jimmie Johnson. His little brother Azlan is equally a hoot, and is in the running for the Favorite Nephew award.
That's Azlan in the middle holding the ball. He's about 18 months old. I really like two things about Azlan.
1. He always has a smile for everyone. A few weeks ago when I was doing long hours of data entry, Azlan comes into the house, comes right over to me and gives me a big hug and a smile. That's just the kind of kid he is. I have another nephew who runs away from me and screams every time he sees me, so Azlan lets me know I'm OK.

2. He eats like a college kid. I'm not exaggerating! He's been eating adult food since he was like 6 months old, they just put him in a chair next to the table, cut up some food for him, and he cleans his plate. No fuss, no spoon-feeding for this little man.

One night, I watched him down a Sonic corn dog and tater tots, and then sample from everyone else's plate. If you're eating food in front of him, he wants some. I watched him down a big dinner one evening, and later his dad came by with a Chili's cheeseburger and fries. Azlan wasn't content until he ate all the fries, and then stole his daddy's drink and quickly downed it. That was me in college, but he's only 18 months old. I was in awe.
Here's a picture from his 1st birthday party. Here's some more from his mom's blog.

He's not fat, is really active, and his parents are active so there's no concern for any health issues. But, I think dude is going to grow up to be a left tackle. Here's some video of him knocking around a golf ball, I think this was before he was even a year old.


video

He learns a lot from his brother, but is also his own dude. I tried to get him to wear a Jimmie Johnson hat to take a picture of him in it, but he would have none of that. He made it clear he wouldn't sellout his convictions. I respect that.

So, here's to you Baby A! Won't be long before you'll be able to read English.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Well, I read your lovely tribute to him, and asked Azlan what he wanted to say to you. He pointed to the kitchen and said "Go." How about that!?!

Thanks for your kind words. A is at a great age right now.