Sunday, July 27, 2008

Happenings in Bolivar

So, being smack dab in the Midwest means we get the big tornado-producing storms that come through in the summer and we'll get blizzards in the winter.

On Wednesday morning there was an electric storm from about midnight to 7am. That's right, 7 hours of loud thunder. The local newspaper, the Bolivar Herald-Free Press, reports that a woman saw the phenomenon of ball lightning during the storm*.

"Carol Standley of Bolivar witnessed the phenomenon of a ball of lightning during the storms Wednesday morning.

"I've never seen anything like it in my life," she said. "I was just fluffing my couch cushions when I heard a pop." That was when she saw the ball of lightning about 10 feet outside her house.

"It cracked and popped all at the same time," she said. "It was very quick. I consider myself lucky it was just a show and it didn't touch anything."


Here's a Wikipedia article on ball lightning. This is a rather scary phenomenon. I watched a show about it on the Discovery Channel once as well as "Unsolved Mysteries" and similar shows so I'm basically an expert. Joni had never heard of it; she's a little concerned that we live in such a weather-exciting place. You never know what you're going to find here in Bolivar. Maybe even strange weather phenomena such as ball lightning.

The weather reports out of Springfield are cartoonish at best. Where's Andy Wallace when we need him? Actually, I just discovered our favorite Waco weatherman is now in Oklahoma City.

*(The paper gets the time the thunderstorms rolled in/out of town wrong as well as calling the phenomenon "ball of lightning" instead of just ball lightning, and supposedly their quote about 5% of people seeing the phenomenon is bogus. But we like the paper anyway.)

1 comment:

Keith Walters said...

I've seen that Discovery Channel show too!!! Cool stuff.