Friday, September 05, 2008

Keeping my faith in the man

McCain said the right things last night. There was as much Milton Friedman in his speech (no doubt co-written by Douglas Holtz-Eakin) as anybody... some parts were close to excerpts from Free to Choose. Some people were looking for a bi-partisan compromise, or a guantlet-like challenge for Obama to respond to. Instead, we got free-market simplicity.

My first posts in support of John McCain were February 23 and 24, 2007. I supported him because he was an American hero who wasn't a lap dog of the Club for Growth or James Dobson crowd, and wasn't a Neocon. He was the only Senator that wasn't porking out on earmarks, one of the few Republicans to criticize Bush's handling of the Iraq war and suggest that Bush's tax cuts went too far. He, and was just close enough to the center to win a general election.

And the Republican party hated him for all the above. Now, they love him for all the above.

David Brooks writes that McCain's closest supporters wanted to go even further in seperating themselves from the traditional Party establishment last night. "He did note that he has fought to change the Republican Party during its period of decay. And he diagnosed that decay Thursday night (to the tepid applause of the faithful)."

I havent read Grand New Party yet, but it's on my wish list.

But mostly, McCain highlighted core old-school Republican ideals and highlighted his own service to country. I heard this and loved it:

1. The market should be free, it works better that way:
"We believe in low taxes, spending discipline and open markets. We believe in rewarding hard work and risk takers and letting people keep the fruits of their labor."
2. Trade should be free, we're better off as a whole for it. "Winners" from trade can help compensate the "losers":
"My opponent wants to bring back old jobs by wishing the global economy away...for workers in industries that have been hard hit we'll make up part of their wages between their old job and a temporary lower-paid, one while they receive re-training that will help them find secure new employment at a decent wage."

3. Market competition is good, and this applies to education as well.
"Parents deserve a choice in the education of their children...some may choose a better public school. Some may choose a private school. Many will choose a charter one. But they will have the choice, and the children will have the opportunity."

4. I've seen war and I hate war. Nobody knows war's horror more than me.
Who else could say that? Nobody, definitely not Obama. That meant a lot to me since we seem to be ratcheting up the rhetoric with Russia on a daily basis, and McCain has been a part of that.

McCain still has my vote. Will he reach out to Democrats like Obama once elected? Absolutely. Independent Joe Liberman will likely be like his right-hand man. He's likely to even have some Democrats in his cabinet. But he can do that with his small-government, free-market principles intact. Will I expect the same from Obama? Nope. As much as I think Obama isn't as liberal as some in his party want him to be (ie: he's not too far from the middle) I feel I can trust McCain to do the right things more than Obama.

Aside note: In my previous post I talked about Obama's tax plan create disincentives for the wealthy people to work as hard. A lawyer wrote a comment on my comparison of the tax plans that I also found insightful:

"In the end, someone like me who is paying a few thousand dollars each month on rent and thousands on student loan repayments ends up owing more than 50% of his hard earned income to the government. Somehow I am still expected to have a savings and prepare myself for retirement in 40 years. This is the kind of policy that makes me want to take a job where I could leave work at 7 each night rather than staying until 10 or 12, and to find a job where weekend work is rare."

1 comment:

Matt said...

I have to agree that it is refreshing to find someone not tied (in McCain) to particular people/groups, particularly Focus on the Family. I agree with most of their moral positions, but not on how they would turn our Constitutional Republic (what is left of it anyway) into a Christian Theocracy. Our liberty and freedoms mean the right to make right or wrong moral decisions (unless they harm another individual directly such as murder, abortion, etc) that ultimately will be judged by our Creator. Thanks for your insight on his speech and why you continue to support him.