Monday, November 10, 2008

Almost there!


Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus put on another dominating performance yesterday in Phoenix. Jimmie is now almost to his 3rd consecutive championship, something done only once before in the 50+ years NASCAR has been around. He has to finish at least 36th in the next race to clinch the title.

I watched most of last night's race but switched over to to the end of the KC Chiefs game while the race was red flagged after a wreck. I switched back over later only to see ABC playing America's Funniest Home Videos, and thought I must have just missed the end.

I didn't. ABC didn't show the end of the race. It's now known as the "Heidi Game" of NASCAR. Apparently, they decided enough was enough.

"To go to 'America's Funniest Home Videos,' that hurts," Johnson said.

Dan Wetzel writes that Johnson is "Tiger good," but not "Tiger popular."

Maybe if I wasn't a #48 fan I'd be bored. But I freakin' love NASCAR. Might makes right in sports-- other teams should go out and find a driver as good as Jimmie and a crew chief as smart as Chad Knaus. Otherwise, he might just go for 6 in a row.

With the potential bankruptcies of Ford, GM, and Chrysler, NASCAR is facing some peril. That makes me sad, but I don't believe in giving them another multi-billion dollar bailout just to keep my preferred race team supported.

No comments: