Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I hate Twitter (Part 1)

I don't have multiple parts already written in my head, I can just forsee writing them in the future.

Reason #1: Twitter claims that "Twitter puts you in control and becomes a modern antidote to information overload."

The site is the exact opposite-- the epitome of information overload. That's because people are always writing too much information. How do people that follow hundreds of others via Twitter sort through all the thousands of posts every day? And when only 1% of that information is effective and useable...

1 comment:

Matt McKee said...

Justin,

I follow about 550 people on Twitter. That's right over 550. How can that be? How can I keep up? Why do I care?

There are 2 tools that I use that keep me informed with what I'm interested in. Neither one of these tools you will find on Twitter.com. Twitter's usefullness does not come by going to their website. It comes by what other people have created.

The first tool is Tweetdeck. It let's you put people into groups. For instance I like ministry, marketing, technology, and sports and have people broken down into those categories. The other great thing that it does is let you set search terms and you can follow that term in a separate column. It makes it very easy and streamlined. You glance over the "eating cookies" post very quickly.

The other tool is Tweetie for iPhone. Again, it let's you search and save on the go. Very useful for articles that you want to read later.

Those are only 2 of the tools that I use but I do use them the most.

Check them out and quit hating.