Sunday, July 05, 2009

Hard to say goodbye...

90% of posts on this blog were written on my HP Pavilion ZV5000, which I have just dismantled. The computer served me well but developed a problem recently that I discovered HP had settled a class-action suit over last year. I was one of the very fortunate ones not to have a problem with it until now.
I just now took out the hard drive and destroyed it with a hammer. Why? Because I plan to recycle the computer responsibly. And most recycling centers end up shipping the computer waste to places like Ghana where the parts are stripped and the hard drives searched for anything that might be used for financial gain. I watched another good expose on this last week on PBS Frontline World, and recommend it. It was enough to see formatted hard drives being scanned of their content and a defense contractor's classified documents coming to light, much less people's wedding photos, budget statements, etc. Poor people in Ghana or China or elsewhere will use alchemy to get copper and such from the motherboards, making decent money but shortening their life spans considerably, polluting and driving up cancer rates in their developing countries... Remember that next time you throw away an electronic device.

So, adios HP Pavilion. I have replaced you with an Asus EEE 900 netbook that is about 3 pounds and has a keyboard slightly larger than a couple of my smartphone. This will take getting used to, so expect to see more typos in these posts as well as more text/Twitter-style shortcuts.

I'm trying to decide whether I like the Asus or not. It cost $180, so it's like an extremely powerful smartphone. It needs a couple upgrades to make it run a little faster. It will be nice when traveling or sitting in a lecture. It makes no noise and gives off little heat, which is the opposite of my Pavilion. It has a strong following online with message boards and wikis and such. So, we'll see if this one lasts as long as the HP (roughly 4.5 years). I will have to use Joni's computer or my office computer for any heavy lifting.

3 comments:

Keith Walters said...

I am glad you used a hammer! All of the hard drives I had destroyed in the past were aluminum so I just bent them with my hands until they were nice and mangled. Well my last one was glass and my tried and true method left me with some pretty wicked lacerations, good thing I had superglue and tweezers :)

Ashlie said...

I just got an Asus Eee 1008HA for my birthday...thought it would be handy to take on campus. Only had it for a few days, but so far so good. I rarely do any "heavy lifting", so I think it will work great for me.

JDTapp said...

That one looks fantastic just out of my price range.