Monday, January 18, 2010

Book Review (#1 of 2010)

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Our small group is going through this classic book. The small group leader is Dr. Zach Manis, one of the sharpest young minds in Christian philosophy in the country and co-author of a new book on the Philosophy of Religion. I look forward to his insights and will try to keep up.

I had never read any C.S. Lewis books in their entirety before (*GASP*, I know I just lost all credibility with that sentence). I found this to be an excellent apologetic for a seeker or a new believer. I posted the quote that meant the most to me. I think Lewis stretches some of his analogies a bit, and it's clear in one of the latter chapters he accepts Darwinian evolution at face value. Other than that, the book is a practical application of the Christian faith to daily life.

However, if C.S. Lewis had published this book today I'm pretty sure he'd be denounced as a "heretic" by many. I bet they wouldn't admit that since this book is still read in seminaries, but I don't see why you couldn't apply some conservative criticisms of Brian McLaren and Rob Bell to C.S. Lewis. Anyone agree with me?

3.5 stars out of 5.

1 comment:

Keith Walters said...

HA! I think Lewis says some pretty crazy things! I am glad that he is thinking through certain issues but I certainly wouldn't publish all my random musings in a book. I too wonder what about him makes people like him so much, because he does make some off-the-wall comments at times.