Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Resolved...

In my annual "reorganization" I reached the conclusion that I should read the books I've been carrying around on my shelf for years but have never read. Two of the best books I read last year were those kinds of books. So, I am resolved to begin reading through my books by order of purchase/receipt. I usually sell or trade in my old books, so it's odd that I've been carrying some around for years for "when I get around to it."

I'm starting with Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean by Charles Freeman. This book is a no-joke comprehensive history of three civilizations that I think I bought in high school. I think I've read just over half of it, haven't touched it in nearly 10 years.

This New Year's resolution is difficult because I just got a bunch of books off my Wish List that I'm eager to read, and there are plenty which will come out this year which I will also want to read immediately.

But, I'm writing it down here for accountability.

By the way, The New Republic now has a book review section on their website. Very cool.

No comments: