Monday, July 26, 2010

Book Review (#10 of 2010)

Knowing God by J.I. Packer.
I didn't read this book in college, like you and everyone else did. At some point, we ended up with two copies of this in our house, one of which was sent by a friend. So, it really needed to be read.
It's a great Scripture-rich read, but it's also quite readable with short chapters. Packer is simply focusing on the attributes of God, how we should respond to those attributes, and really just focusing on the sufficiency of God. He is a Reformed pastor who isn't making an apologetic case to non-believers, but instead encouraging believers to trust in God's Word. So, good familiarity with the Scripture is required before reading this book.

I got a good bit out of this book, it reads like a Piper book but not as deep. My only criticisms are that sometimes he ignores or is ignorant of scriptural context (I think he misinterprets Revelation 3:14-16 and others). The book is acclaimed by everyone, but many people who acclaim it probably still have crosses and other such imagery in their churches, which Packer clearly frowns on in the very first chapter. He also seems open to gifts of the Spirit including tongues, healings, etc. which is a view not widely shared by people who frequently quote him.

However, I could be wrong since I've not read any of his other works.

I give this 4.5 stars out of 5.

No comments: