Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What a bad day looks like

With a nod to the fact that God is sovereign in all things... I mainly just wanted to record this to look back on later.

A co-worker and supporter of our work in Central Asia was due to watch doctors take her husband off life support this morning. He died at 5pm tonight. He was in a coma following a heart attack just a few days after he had major heart surgery. I last talked to her in a UEGE meeting a few days before his first surgery, she requested prayer, sensing that something might have been worse than doctors expected. I remember the discussion turned to how lucky she was that her husband's health plan put him at St. John's Hospital, known nationally for its cardiac unit.

A student, who I'd consider to be a friend, watched his wife give birth to their second child yesterday. The child was born with spinal bifidia, which wasn't discovered until the delivery. Now he faces surgery and special needs. He's sort of a non-traditional student, having taken the long road to get to SBU and due to graduate in May. He drops by my office to talk basketball, but I suspect that won't matter much anymore.

Another co-worker is going through a divorce and has a sister who just became disabled as an indirect result of the blizzard. She always asks about me and my family, and every time she does I remind myself that I have nothing to complain about.

I also found out that an eager student I talked to for 20 minutes yesterday apparently was lying for about 15 minutes of it. I'm convinced that he believes every word he says, but it turns out none of it is true. It's depressing, he's only deceiving himself at this point.

I opted out of watching the news tonight. Qaddafi's madness, Somali pirates murdering Americans delivering Bibles, and further economic fear and political vitriol were a bit too much after today's interoffice news.

Lamentations 3:22-23 - The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow. I'm sorry about all of this.