Thursday, May 26, 2011

Traveling to Antiquity

The other day we caught Bettany Hughes' documentary Helen of Troy on PBS, based on her book of the same subject. Troy was founded in 3,000 B.C. in what is modern-day Turkey, and Hughes travels around the country to get some historical context. Anatolia is the site of the ancient capital of the Hittite empire, of which modern archaeology has discovered quite a bit-- including detailed records. I hope to visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations when I visit the area this week. Living in and exploring places where around every corner is a remnant of an ancient civilization is quite appealing to me. To have a paying job there would be my dream come true. I hope to find some way to call those ancient places "home," but God's will on the issue remains to be revealed.

My family knows and understands this. I love them very much, and will miss them very much next week. One way to say "goodbye" in Turkish (by the person who is departing) is "Allaha ─▒smarlad─▒k," which means "I leave you in God's care." That's what I pray for my family as I go.

No comments: