Monday, June 10, 2013

Going crazy for smoothies

Since I work out to things like P90X, I look for cheap ways to replenish and recover. Synthetically produced drinks can be expensive and fake-tasting. So, I've started making smoothies instead. I started out with a recipe I took from googling. One banana, one cup of blueberries, handful of strawberries, some skim milk, and yogurt. I followed the advice of our neighbor and vegan consultant to "add it in" and included some sunflower kernels for extra nutrition. 

Ingredients

Add in some skim milk and 10 ice cubes

Voila
But later I discovered the advice of my neighbor is to leave out dairy, which inhibits phytonutrient absorption. So, I have perfected a different smoothie recipe that looks about the same as above but contains more:

1/2 cup of blueberries
4-6 strawberries (depending on size)
1/2 - 1 cup of blackberries
1 banana
several leaves of spinach
1 orange, segmented (or two clementines)
lots of ice (the more you add, the thicker/icier it gets)

This turned out to be an awesome sweet and filling green smoothie. After a workout, I pour a cup and also add a teaspoon of Body Fortress Whey Protein (Chocolate Peanut Butter). That gives it an awesome taste as well.


Just throw some fruit and leafy greens in a blender and have fun. You won't regret it!

No comments: