Friday, March 07, 2014

Book Review (#25 of 2014) The Way I See It by Temple Grandin

The Way I See It, Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition: A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's. I recommend reading either Grandin's autobiography or other biographies (my review) before starting this one, just so you can see what Grandin has overcome and what she has experienced. It will also give you details on the personal anecdotes she briefly shares on these pages. Those experiences color her observations and advice.

I say this book is a must-read for anyone with a child on the autism spectrum. It is almost a how-to guide or an explanation from an insider into "why" a child may do certain things. I found it a more succinct and helpful primer than two other books I've read with actual methods of prescribed therapy by practitioners. Good ideas and observations. Perhaps the book's greatest value is that Grandin has spoken to a lot of other people on the autism spectrum, learned some of how they think and behave, and is able to translate that for us due to her own perspective. She's also done a lot of reading, which helps point the reader to many recent sources of research.

I give it 4 stars out of 5.


No comments: