Friday, December 05, 2014

God is in the Manger by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Book Review #115 of 2014)


God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas
When I was growing up, Advent was something non-Baptist churches did and I equated it with Lent. I'm glad that Advent has become more widespread and that even Baptist churches are putting out their own Advent devotions. This book is a popular Advent devotional, and it should be; it's a fascinating and thought-provoking read. I listened to this book on my commutes as I considered it akin to the sermons I often listen to on the drive. It was available online through my local library, provided by ChristianAudio.com.

There are 40 daily devotionals in this book with a theme for each week. It goes from November until January 6 (the Epiphany, which supposedly used to be a bigger holiday than December 25). Each devotional has a scripture, an excerpt from a Bonhoeffer sermon or writing, and a supplemental like a letter from prison by Bonhoeffer or comment from another theologian/pastor/author. It is very thorough and deep.

I highly recommend it, next year I may use this as my own daily devotional during the season.

4 stars out of 5.

No comments: