Friday, January 02, 2015

Sermon of the Week (12/28/14 - 1/3/2015) Hershael York on Matthew 2:16-18

Sermon of the Week is the weekly series where I highlight a sermon (from the selection of preachers on the right) that I believe best explained a passage or had the biggest impact on my week. (In 2015, I will likely just make this the "podcast of the week" and highlight sermons on a non-weekly basis.)

There were a lot of Christmas sermons on the Magi but I enjoyed Dr. York's the best. (He teaches preaching at Southern Seminary, so expectations are always high.) The sermon is titled "And on Earth, Death and Bad Will Toward Children: The Forgotten Part of the Christmas Story"  (mp3) and focuses on Herod. York gives a long historical background on Herod and his paranoid cruelty which I enjoyed. His greater point is that we will suffer the same end as Herod if we discard the revelation at the King has been born just as Herod did. Enjoy.

No comments: