Thursday, February 19, 2015

A poem for Elias

My wife decided to flee the record cold we're experiencing in Central KY (it was -7F without the wind chill this morning) and took our son to visit his cousins in Atlanta for the weekend. While I'm glad they're warmer, I miss them.
One serendipitous moment occurred last fall when I gave Elias my old copy of Shel Silverstein's A Light In The Attic. He loved it, and I gave him Where the Sidewalk Ends for Christmas (which I think is a better book). Where the Sidewalk Ends contains the poem "Put Something In" that Elias likes and which I think describes him perfectly. I might have it blown up and framed to put on our wall:

Draw a crazy picture,
Write a nutty poem,
Sing a mumble-gumble song,
Whistle through your comb.
Do a loony-goony dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something silly in the world
That ain’t been there before.


1 comment:

Joni said...

Sweet post, I'll make sure Elias sees it. He brought both of those books with him on our trip. We miss you too!