Thursday, December 31, 2015

Book of the Year, 2015, and a look ahead to 2016

Following this link should take you to my list of completed books this year. I have not finished reviews for the last few (it takes me a while to write my summaries).

Most of the books helped inform my decisions, change how I think about something, or influence how I work. There are a handful that I remember on a daily basis. If I had to choose just five to give someone, this might be the list. (Links are to my reviews.) I should revisit this list in 5-10 years and see if they still matter.

1. The Reason for God by Tim Keller - Maybe the best argument for the appeal of the Christian worldview I have ever read.

2. How to Read the Bible for All its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart. Will definitely improve your reading of the Bible and your ability not to misinterpret texts, or at least be more humble. 

3. Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Christians should practice Christian mindfulness. Meditation and prayer are a Christian discipline, and I find Kabat-Zinn's non-Christian personal practice to be something we can learn from. That said, I failed at my goal of improving in prayer and mindfulness this year.

4. Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry M. Caudill - This ought to be required reading for all Kentuckians, especially legislators.

5. Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick - This book challenged the way I parent and the way I think about the Gospel. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. On some points, I want to disagree, on other points I just don't want to submit.

In 2016, I will get back to reading and listening to more economics-related books. I will read several by Michael Lewis, maybe even complete that canon. At the beginning of the year I will read mostly Kentucky-related books as I observe the legislative session. I will read several books on ISIS. I will read several books written about Obama's presidency as well as works on or by candidates before November. I hope to read one or two fitness or weight training books. It is hard to do that if you're also working through biblical commentaries daily; such is life.

Happy New Year!

No comments: